Looking for the perfect words to include in a card or message to say goodbye to a colleague of yours who is leaving the company?
Use our well-written messages to wish well to a coworker departing their post and let them know that you are happy for them.
Goodbye, good luck and thanks for all the fish!
You couldn’t have done it with out us!
Best wishes from us.
Goodbye Quotes End of an Era
Motivational Good Morning Quotes to Get Through Your Work Day
Professionally Yours : Happy Birthday Wishes for my Boss
If you liked what you read, please share it. It really helps us a lot.
In Japan, people change departments quite often, and each time you have to write a farewell message for the people who leave, so you get in to the habit of writing these sorts of cards. After seeing these things from hundreds of people (and having received them myself several times), the 'safest' pattern I see is:
General gratitude is very straightforward, doesn't require any specific knowledge, and it is a nice positive message. You can go at it from several different angles, but at the end of the day you just want to make sure it is positive and actually reflects what the person did. For instance:
It's been a pleasure working with you on Project X over the last Y months -- the experience and skills you brought to the team made the project run more smoothly.
Feel free to comment on any general positive trait from skills, to experience, to positive attitude -- whatever fits best.
Even if you don't know the person well, you probably wouldn't be invited to write something on a card if you had never interacted with them at all. This doesn't need to be work-related, it can be anything positive and personal. For instance:
While it was a great experience working with you, I'll especially miss your restaurant recommendations -- the Thai place you recommended has been a hit with everyone I've taken there, and makes me look like I know more about food than I do!
Of course, it could also be work-related, for instance:
I really wanted to thank you for that time you helped me with that pesky bug I was struggling with. Thanks to your help teaching me how to debug that part of the legacy code, I've been able to lessen my daily frustration, and am grateful you took the time to teach me how to do that on my own.
The goal is just to point out that you have some personal positive experience with the person, and letting them know that it was appreciated (even if you didn't say much but 'thanks' at the time). Everyone loves feeling appreciated.
Finally, you want to wish them the best of luck on their transfer/new job/change in careers/whatever. No need to be over the top, just a simple well-intentioned "Good luck!" will work, for instance:
I wish you the best in finding even more success in your next position. From working with you here, I am sure you will be a great fit. The world is a small place, and I hope that we get the chance to work together again in the future.
If they are leaving the job for something entirely different (stay-at-home parent, going back to school, starting their own business, etc.), wish them the best of luck in the change of pace, or anything that is positive and says, "Things change, but don't worry, you'll do great!"
No matter what you do, try to avoid the following pitfalls:
The person will likely read the card once or twice, and just wants to come away feeling good. You just want them to come away with a smile, so there's no need to be particularly profound on the card. Even if you know the person very well, the farewell card isn't the right place for honest feedback or oversharing, as other coworkers will likely read what you wrote, and if you're that close you can share the same info over a beer without any of the problems writing it down on a card may bring.
answered Jun 30 '14 at 1:34
19.8k77 gold badges6565 silver badges138138 bronze badges
Here you'll find inspiration and examples of what to write in a card or message to a colleague that's leaving, and you'll discover how to write a.
It is very difficult to say goodbye to those who are very close to us. Especially, when your colleagues & co-workers are about to leave the job or your teachers are about to retire and when our friends are about to far away from us, farewell messages could be the ideal way.
This is a very depressing moment for all of us. Still, we have to say goodbye to them, you must cherish the best times you spent with the loved ones, teachers, colleagues, co-workers, and pray for their success.
Saying farewell to a co-worker who has always been supportive for years that could be really painful but showing your respect & love towards him/her is much more important to express your feelings.
So, it is high time to say some heartfelt words of admiration or even with some sweet words to say thank you to them. You can also wish them good luck in their new life.
Here are some best farewell messages to bid farewell your dearest ones with a lot of care & love. Share these on WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest messages to express your feelings via some sweet words.
1. Now, you are leaving a ton of sweet memories with us today. We will miss those wonderful memories each and every one of us. Have a great journey ahead!😊
2. There have been times when I have been a little bit rude to you. Today, as we part, I want to tell forgive me to all the rudeness. Have a great future ahead!
3. Success will not find you no matter where you go & what you do. As you are leaving us today just know that my heart will always find you in it.
4. Go ahead and find your glory. But you never forget the ones you shared the journey with. I wish you good luck for the new life!
5. Every beginning has an ending. But out ending is getting with a lot of beautiful memories and love. We will miss you. Happy journey!🤗
6. You have been an inspiration to all of us, and we’ve enjoyed a lot working with you. We wish you a big success where you go. Have a spectacular life!
7. Today, we are going to say goodbye to each other. But there is no reason to feel sad at all. Think about all the happy memories we spent, shared. Happy Farewell!
8. Having a friend like you in the workplace is a kind of gift. I’ve always appreciated you for what you’ve done.
9. This is not a time to weep out. It is time to fill your heart with new hopes for the new life. We will always get in touch no matter where we are. Have a great future!
10. May the journey ahead be comfortable and enjoyable. Have a wonderful journey!
To say goodbye to a co-worker or colleague who is also your mate for years could be very despondent and difficult but, at the same time, it becomes very necessary to support & encourage your colleague who is going to leave the company.
Try these best farewell messages to your colleagues and motive them towards starting their new life by expressing your feelings.
11. I’ve learned a lot of things working with you in the past. I know and I hope you will succeed in your new position. Thank you and farewell!🤗
12. I have never known a colleague like you so intelligent and down to earth. You’re leaving a lot of great and beautiful memories for each one of us.
13. You were a lot more than a co-worker. Because of you, this office always seemed like a family. Today, our hearts are weeping to say goodbye to you!
14. Even if you will no longer my co-worker, but you will continue to be my friend. All the very best for beginning a new life!
15. You’ve always been supportive, inspirational, encouraging, and honest during your time here. Your new place is incredibly fortunate for you and you get all the happiness in the future ahead. Happy journey!✌
16. it doesn’t really matter if you are with us or not, but your works will always inspire each and every person in this office. Have an awesome life!
17. Working with you has been a wonderful experience. I wonder if I will ever have a co-worker like you. Have a fantastic journey ahead!
18. On your last day of the office, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for all the things you’ve done for me and for all the kind gestures of yours. Happy farewell, buddy!
19. Your presence has added so much meaning to my life. I hope you set a great benchmark there as well. Adieu and Happy life!
20. You are very kind, humble. and liberal with whom everyone would love to work. Wishing you the best future ahead!👍
Read More Interesting Wishes
Best Birthday Wishes
Wishes For Sisters
Anniversary Wishes For Wife
Good Morning Wishes
Birthday Wishes For Father
Birthday Wishes For Mom
Whether your employee is leaving the company for retirement or to another job position anywhere else. This is high time to pay tribute to their employees who served a great time at your organization by sending one of these great farewell messages.
Have a look at some great farewell messages to employees that will get you inspired
21. You are a very kind employee in the office. Its no wonder you are going to a bigger place. Wish you all the best!
22. I would like to thank you for all the milestones you helped this company to achieve. You set an example for this company. Have an outstanding journey!
23. A perfect employee is the one who motivates his boss as much as his boss motivates him. Thanks for being an inspiration for the company. The best journey forever!👏
24. Your hard works will always motivate those who worked with you. It will be very difficult to find a replacement for you! Goodbye and good luck! Have the best journey!
25. From friendship to mentorship to leadership, you have given this company a warm relationship in every possible form. Thanks for everything. Have a great life & journey!
26. You’ve not only contributed personally but also motivated others to make a difference. This company will always remember yours as a great employee. Happy journey!
27. An employee like you is a symbol of professionalism. Thank you for bringing the best work. Have a lovely future ahead!!🤗
28. My farewell to one great employee. Your hard work & dedication were a vital part of our team. Thank you for providing your best service. Happy journry!
29. Dearest, employee, I want to thank you and extend my wishes as you bid farewell. You’ve been a treasured employee of the company always. Good luck and a fantastic journey!
30. Your services were imperative for our company, I will miss one of my finest employees. Goodbye and all the very best for your future endeavors.
Saying goodbye to your boss or mentor who guided, supported, and also taught you every step of the way. It becomes an extremely heart-wrenching moment for all since it appears like a huge loss.
But you should bid farewell to boos with huge respect and feeling of gratitude, make him feel so special on the last of the office.
Send these sweet farewell wishes to your boss on WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
31. You made us believe in ourselves. No one couldn’t guide us more successfully than you. It’s hard to bid you farewell for us. But you will be missed forever! Best journey!
32. We feel fortunate to have worked under your supervision. You will always be missed every day by each one of us. Happy Farewell!
33. There were times when your bossy nature made us frown but at the end of the day, it was all good for our future. We are going to miss you a lot boss!
34. Dear, boss, your support, guidance, and inspiration will be missed more than your appreciation. You are not only the boss but also a good teacher. Farewell!
35. Success & failures are an integral part of the job but your advice and way of dealing with failures in the best. Stay happy and blessed. Boss!
36. As you leave us today, let us tell you that you were one of the best guardians for us and always will be. I wish you the best future ahead!
37. A boss like you is very difficult to get. You were more like a colleague and friend than the Boss. We will miss you. Have an awesome future!👍
38. Dear, Boss, you are a true leader and I salute you for that. I hope I could be as good as you. I am too depressed we won’t work again. Wishing the best of luck in all your future endeavors.
39. On the last of your job, we would all like to express our heartfelt thankfulness for all kind gestures, Goodbye for your best future, stay blessed!
40. We wish you to continue supporting us and help in every possible way, we need you still in our career. Our best Farewell wishes for you to have a bright future!
Friends are like the family you get to choose, your closest friends are your confidants, sidekicks, therapist, some of your biggest supports.
Even if they are leaving near or far, but you will always be there for them. Share your feelings with our best collection of farewell wishes for friends and make them feel happy.
41. Friends never say goodbye to each other. As deep inside the heart, they know that they’ll be touch forever! Good wishes for your future!😊
42. We’ve many good memories with each other. It doesn’t really matter where we are, but we will always feel close to each other thinking about the wonderful memories. Have a great life with a lot of love and happiness!
43. A true friend like you is a precious gift for life. My heart is crying today knowing that you will not be here with me anymore. I wish you a blessed life!
44. Now, you are going far away from me. But I know it is just a matter of time we will meet again, and our friendship will make us stronger. Happy journey!
45. The hardest part of life for someone is saying goodbye. Now, the time has come to bid farewell to each other. I wish you all the happiness, love, and peach in your new life.🤗
46. I feel that I have lost my sense of humor today. It is a very sad time for me to say goodbye to you who made my every single day like a treat. Farewell, my friend!
47. Now, our lives would be boring without your presence. That is why your departure would make all of us feel sad. Goodbye, my lovely friend!
48. I still remember all the moments we shared together with my dear friend and I hope such days would come back again. I will miss buddy!
49. Today, I feel depressed, I feel sad, I feel low, and I feel sick when I think how I am going to live without you. I wish you would come back soon to my life as a friend!
50. How it is wonderful to see that strangers became friends within a short period of time. I hope our bonding will remain the same in the future. Have the best and amazing journey, my lovely friend!❤
51. Dear, teacher, you’ve enlightened so many hearts with the words you say. A teacher like you is the most precious asset of our country. Happy farewell!
52. Words cannot be described how painful it was when we heard of your retirement. Since you have been an inspiration to all of us in the department, and a great mentor that we always respect. We pray God gives you immense happiness, courage, strength, and wisdom to continue the good work you are known for. Have a great life ahead!😎
53. You are not only a great teacher but also a g great human being. There are so many things that we’ve learned from you! Happy Farewell!
54. Learning under this environment will never be the same now without a teacher like you. I wish and hope that your new place is full of fun and happiness as usual. Happy farewell and thank you for being our motivation!
55. Farewell doesn’t really mean the end of our friendship. We have had a great journey and we will meet definitely each other soon til then have an awesome life and Farewell!
56. Dear, teacher, not only I have enjoyed working with you, but also I have gained a lot of experience on how to build a good relation and reputation.
57. Thank for the knowledge that you’ve shared with us. Your love for success has no end. Thank you for always being there for me. I will miss your kind words. Goodbye!
58. I don’t wanna say lengthy words, but I simply wanna say that there was no one who can stand against you and can say he/she is best. I will miss you so much! Best of luck for a new life!
59. You corrected my mistakes, you encouraged me with your great words full of hope & support.
60. You are a hero, father, and role model. All these years, you’ve given me motivation, inspiration, and the much-needed knowledge to excel in my chosen profession. Have a wonderful future ahead!
61. I feel very fortunate to have met you in my life. You are leaving a profound impact on my life. Thank you so much and Goodbye!
62. I would like to really thank for being an incredible part of my life. I’m looking forward to meeting you once again in this long journey of life. Happy farewell!
63. It’s been a wonderful journey that we shared with each other. Still, it is the same journey that is taking us away from each other. I would like to thank you for all the things and good moments. Have a memorable farewell1
64. I will really appreciate your time and effort. I will miss you & hope you will always get in touch with me from time to time. Thank you and Farewell!
65. With gratitude, I thank you all, my dear colleagues for the great opportunity that I got a chance to share my service with you. I wish you all the best & thank you for your cherished friendship.
66. I don’t know how to thank you for all the wonderful memories you shared with me. We will miss those wonderful memories spent with you. Have a spectacular life.
67. The moments we shared together were precious. I think it would be difficult to adjust to living a life without your presence
68. With a grateful heart, I want to share my feelings with you on this last day of my work. Thank you for everything. Happy journey!
69. Many thanks for giving this company unbelievable experience, strength, and determination. Happy farewell & life.
70. I would like to thank you for playing a massive role in the company. I hope you get many more opportunities in the future too. Happy life and farewell.
71. I am very thankful for spending precious time with you, and I’ve learned quite a lot under your guidance. Thanks for everything! Have an awesome journey!
Composing a goodbye or farewell email to your colleagues on your last day in the office can be a daunting task. To help, here’s a sample email that you can refer to.
Subject: Bidding Everyone Adieu
Today is my last day at work here, and I would like to thank you all for the great times that we shared. I will treasure all the sweet memories that I have of working here with you.
I have enjoyed working with you all, and I see myself as one of the few lucky employees at [insert name of company] because I got to work with such a great team of like-minded individuals. It’s hard for me to bid you all adieu because of how we worked together tirelessly to promote this company so that it would meet the present and future needs of clients and staff members.
Building a successful team means more than just finding people who can work together. It means finding a team that's committed to each other, has a deep sense of trust with one another and cares about each other. During my 10+ years as a full-time staff member here, I've worked in three different departments. Despite how tough things were, every team I had the privilege to work with was able to meet, surpass, and sustain the goals that we were tasked with.
I remember when the company's success was plummeting, I was part of the team that was commissioned by the board to find a lasting solution to the challenges the company was facing at that difficult time. Under the supervision of Mr. /Mrs. _____, we researched and drafted the [paper/project] that helped restore the company.
While this has been one of the most satisfying, rewarding, and all-around wonderful jobs I've ever had, I feel that it's time for me to explore new challenges and diversify my experience. I will definitely miss you all, and at the same time, I look forward to these new career opportunities.
At this juncture, I wish you all the very best here at [insert name of company]. Once again, thank you for the inspiration and for bringing out the best in me. To keep in touch with me from time to time, my contact information is below.
[Your contact information]
Farewell Messages - Saying adieu to a loved one can be painful, but you can Farewell Message to Colleagues in Office; ♢ Goodbye Message Leaving You joined as a colleague but over the years became my best friend.
When leaving a job, you may want to write your coworkers, boss, or employees a farewell message. You may also want to say thank you in your message.
Writing a pleasant goodbye note may encourage others to remember you fondly. Saying goodbye is #8 on the list of 15 things to do before leaving a job.
At the office, the farewell message is usually sent via email when sending the same message to a group of people such as a team or others that you had contact with. When saying goodbye to one person, such as your boss, mentor, or close coworker, you may want to write a handwritten note instead of sending an email. Handwritten notes may feel more personal, and the person is likely to keep it longer than an email.
You don't have to thank or say goodbye to everyone on the list below with a farewell message. Wanting to thank someone on that list, may be what brought you to this post. So I listed others that you may want to write a message to that you may not have considered otherwise.
If you know of someone else that is leaving, you may want to send them a message. If they send you a farewell email, you could reply and write them a farewell message
Below are some suggestions for what types of things to include in your farewell note. They are followed by sections of examples notes written to a boss, employee, and coworkers.
Your note can look like the example that follows. For more information on the layout of a thank-you note, see these 5 easy steps.
Dear [Person's Name],
Your Message (this is the middle section).
Second paragraph (optional).
Third paragraph (optional).
Closing (such as kind regards, thanks again, etc.),
Note: words in [brackets] in the examples below, should be replaced appropriately for your note.
The format of the farewell examples messages will be the same, so only the middle section of the note is included in the examples below when the note has only 1 paragraph. You can add additional paragraphs to any of the samples if you desire. You can also combine wording from different examples into your note.
Note: This section of examples is for when you are sending one email to multiple people. Since its being sent to a group, you will not be thanking anyone for anything specific. Some of the examples will feel generic and simple. These emails are more casual and could be for a boss sending an email to employees or coworkers to coworkers.
I've enjoyed working with all of you. My last day is [Day of Week], [Date]. If you'd like to stay in touch here are my contact details:
List only the contact details you want to provide.
personal email address
Also, feel free to send me your contact details.
I'll be starting a new opportunity next week. My last day here is [Day of Week], [Date].
If you'd like to stay in touch, my email address is [your email address].
Thank you all for being so great to work with it! It's been an honor working with such a dedicated and successful group.
If you haven't heard yet, I've accepted a position at [Company Name]. My last day here is [Day of Week], [Date].
Please feel free to stop by my [desk/cube/office] this week.
You've been the best team I've ever worked with. Working to together on projects has been a delight. I will miss working with you. However, I'm am excited about my new opportunity with [Company Name].
My Facebook page is [link to your Facebook page], and my email address is [your email address].
We've accomplished a lot together as a team. It's been an honor working with each of you. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and consider each of you a friend.
I am excited to move on to a new challenge at [Company Name]. If you want to know more about it, please let me know.
Also, please respond if you'd like to stay in touch, and then we can share personal contact information.
As [Boss's name] announced in the meeting yesterday, my last day is on [date]. I am leaving with a tinge of sadness as I've come to enjoy a friendship with each of you.
You've inspired me to keep learning as much as I can. Now, to keep growing, I feel that moving to a larger company will lead to more opportunities.
Thank you for being a fantastic team!
Let's stay in touch.
You've been a fantastic team for the past two years. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work with each of you. My last day is on [date]. I am hoping we can squeeze in a team lunch before then.
Also, thank you for listening to all of my cat stories! I am very excited that my next position is at the Humane Society where I can spend plenty of time helping cats.
[Note: In your note, replace the sentence above with whatever you talked about a lot with your coworkers and where your next position is and why you are excited about it]
This could be done in a handwritten note or an email or even an instant message if your company uses Skype or Slack (or another messaging program).
Hello [Person's Name]
I have enjoyed having you on my team during the past few years. I am thankful for all of your contributions to our team. Your work on [project name] was outstanding and provided a great deal of value to the company.
Also, I appreciate your honesty whenever I asked for feedback on my performance. Not everyone was willing to share things with me.
As I start my new opportunity, know that I will miss working with you. Perhaps our paths will cross again in the future. Until then, please keep in touch! My personal emails is [your email address] and my phone number is ###-###-####.
2. Thank you for being a dependable employee. You will be missed. You were terrific and supportive with training new hires. It's going to be hard to replace you.
3. I wish you all the best at your new position. Thank you for everything you did while on my team. Your work on [project name] was top notch. You'll be remembered as one of the good ones!
4. I am sad to see you go! But I am happy for you at the same time. The new position may be precisely what you are looking for. Thank you for always being willing to help out with whatever was needed without complaining.
5. You've been an incredible support to the team and me. Thank you for all of your process improvements. Your legacy will live on here with all the macros and other tools you developed to make everyone's jobs easier. I wish you all the success in your next position.
6. Thank you for your hard work and dedication while you were on my team. [Client name] expressed many times how much they liked having you on their project. They are going to miss you too! Here is my personal email address if you'd like to stay in touch: [your email address].
7. You will be missed! I do hope your new job provides you with what you were looking for as a next career step. Thank you for being awesome.
Hello [Boss's Name],
Thank you for being the best boss I've had so far in my career. You're a wonderful listener, and I felt valued as a team member.
The team events over the years have helped with team bonding. Some people will say they are a waste of time, but they were not to me.
If you want to stay in my personal email is [your email address].
All the best,
Thank you for all the advice you have given me. I appreciate the recommendation you gave to [new company name] on my behalf. I believe it helped me to get the job. I am looking forward to trying out [new career field].
Please stay in touch.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me while I worked on your team. You helped me to learn that there are often many ways, not just A or B, to solve problems. I will remember that advice.
I want to stay in touch. What is your personal email address? Mine is [your email address].
4. You’ve been a great manager. I will miss working with you and the team. Perhaps our paths will cross again in the future.
5. It’s been an honor working with you. I will treasure all of the advice you passed on about [job topic]. Whoever you hire to replace me, will be fortunate to learn from you.
6. You were my favorite team lead ever! I will miss chatting with you. Thank you for giving me opportunities to learn and improve my skills in [topic/program]. It's because of you that I was able to accept the manager position at [new company name]. I appreciate all your support in my personal development.
7. Thank you for being a wonderful boss. Your integrity made your team great to be on. I felt inspired to give my best every day. If you want to stay in touch, my email is [your email address]
Note: it can be easy to say Good Luck. There are 100+ ways to say good luck here.
These messages can be sent as a reply to a farewell message. Or if you didn’t receive a farewell note, you can still send the person that is leaving an email, if you desire.
1. I have enjoyed working with you! Good luck at your new position.
2. Thank you for all you taught me about [subject they taught you about]. My knowledge and skills improved because of the time you spent mentoring me. I wish you all the best!
3. Wow! I am excited for you. We had some fun times working together. Good luck at the new job.
4. You'll do great at your new position! Thank you for being a great friend while we worked together.
5. Thank you for everything that you taught me! I enjoyed working with you and wish you all the best in at your new position.
6. I am excited for you and your new position. I hope it works out well for you. Thank you for being an excellent teammate while we worked together.
7. I am going to miss working with you! I appreciate all you taught me about [topic]. You were a great mentor!
1. You were one of my favorite people to work it. I'm so glad we were assigned to the same team. Thank you for being so fun to work with it. I liked discussing programming problems with you and coming up with solutions.
2. Sitting next to you for the past few years has been delightful. I will miss hearing your stories and working on projects with you. You are very good at the position. If you ever decide you want to join me at [company name of new position], I will gladly recommend you. Of course, I better make sure I like working their first! I'll let you know in a few weeks how thing are going.
3. Thank you for all of your support while we worked together. I appreciate all the time you spent mentoring me when I was new. I feel like I learned more from you than anyone else. Your knowledge about [topic] surpasses most others. I'd love to stay in touch. Here is my contact information [and then provide your contact information].
4. I'm so glad we made a connection that day in the cafeteria when you saw my cat shirt. I love talking about cats with you. You may have heard already, but my last day is [Date]. I accepted a new position at [company name]. Would you like to meet for in a few weeks? I should be settled in by then.
5. I will miss working with you! My last day is on Friday. Thank you for all of your help and support during the past year. I hope our friendship will continue once I start the new position. My contact information is: [list your contact info]. Thank you!
6. Thank you for being a reliable source of information about [topic]. As you may know, you became my trusted source during the past year. I appreciate that you were always up to date with the latest information. I am going to miss your expertise. I hope we can stay in touch as friends! My email address is [your email address].
7. I loved working with you. Please know that I will miss you and look forward to meeting for lunch soon. Thank you for being a great friend and coworker!
I hope the examples above helped you to write your farewell message!
Have you ever received a memorable farewell message? Did it include a thank you? What did it say?
In Japan, people change departments quite often, and each time you have to write a farewell message for the people who leave, so you get in.
MibeiApril 07, 2019 4:43 PM
Yes you the talented person
KazitilarApril 10, 2019 7:43 PM
Sure version :)
KibarApril 04, 2019 7:10 AM
You have thought up such matchless phrase?
MukApril 06, 2019 9:37 AM
It has no analogues?
MeztileApril 10, 2019 10:59 PM
I consider, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM.